Nick Diaz is still trying to get his suspension overturned in Nevada so he won’t be signing a bout agreements anytime soon, but it sounds like Josh Koscheck might be the guy to welcome Diaz back when he is cleared after his yearlong hiatus. Last week Koscheck Tweeted about being approached about a fight with Diaz and said he was all for it. Now, Diaz’s manager/mentor/coach Cesar Gracie is saying the scrap could definitely happen.
“Personally, I like the option of him fighting Koscheck, a guy who is very popular here in the United States and has great public recognition. Everyone knows who he is, especially here,” Gracie said to TATAME. “Demian Maia is a great fighter. I think he would also be a great opponent, but here in America, Maia is not as popular as Koscheck. So I think Nick probably will face Josh Koscheck in his return to the Octagon.”
In a chat with fans on Tuesday, UFC President Dana White wasn’t able to shed any light on the potential pairing, saying, “I am not sure who Nick is fighting next. Nick needs to get re-licensed before we figure all that out.”
Diaz (26-8) is coming off of a controversial decision loss to Carlos Condit and weeks later it was announced the he tested positive for marijuana metabolites. The fight was the end of an impressive winning streak for Diaz and more importantly prevented him from a shot at Georges St-Pierre. Meanwhile, Koscheck (17-6) is coming off of a Split Decision loss to Johny Hendricks this past May.
PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE