Fabricio Werdum talks possible return to the Octagon

Strikeforce heavyweight Fabricio Werdum, has had a tough road recently trying to compete in a stacked division. But mostly he has impressed including handing Fedor Emelianenko his first definitive loss in June of last year. But ‘Vai Cavalo’, literally translated as ‘Go Horse’, has voiced his displeasure, along with many other fighters from the promotion in terms of how his career has been handled, and appears to be looking towards an eight-sided pasture for his next professional stop.

Fabricio picked up some criticism from fans and experts alike, for pulling guard too frequently in his Grand Prix loss to Alistair Overeem earlier this year. The performance lowered his his spot on the heavyweight ladder a bit, making him fall to fourth on Fighters.com’s official rankings, and dropped his overall record to 14-5-1.

Recently his trainers have talked about him making a possible move to the UFC heavyweight division. He left the UFC in 2008 after four fights, and a 2-2 record, due to financial disputes following a knockout loss to heavy underdog Junior Dos Santos. However, he hopes to get another shot in the Octagon and has now publicized his interest, speaking to MMAHeat about his feelings towards the return to the UFC.

“I just have my contract with Strikeforce,” Werdum said. “I want to come back to the UFC for sure because UFC is the best event in the world. The guys give me a chance; for sure I’ll come back.”

Werdum’s head trainer, Rafael Cordeiro, also recently said that his fighter could be ready to go as soon as December if called upon.

Werdum Possible for Appearance at UFC 141 on December 30

Werdum hasn’t fought since his June loss to Overeem and hasn’t been given an opponent for any future fights with Strikeforce either. Among his past victories are wins over the aforementioned Dutchman, Emelianenko, Brandon Vera, Antonio Silva, and Gabriel Gonzaga.