The UFC 164: Henderson Vs Pettis II media call takes place today at 2:00 PM EST, and Fighters.com will be bringing you live updates of the call. The fighters from the main and co main event will be answering questions from the media.
UFC 164: Henderson Vs Pettis II takes place August 31 at the HMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee. Defending lightweight champion Benson Henderson looks to defend his belt for the fourth time when he takes on Anthony Pettis in a rematch of the final WEC fight in history. In the first fight, Pettis defeated Henderson in a five round back and forth bout by unanimous decision, and the result left Pettis as the final WEC Lightweight Champion. In the co-main event, heavyweights Frank Mir and Josh Barnett will also scrap to see who can get back on track.
Benson Henderson, UFC lightweight champion
- On Grant Injury- It is what it is, but this fight is one I have been waiting for a long time.
- I don’t consider myself like any of the big time names. Its weird for me to think like that. It’s not my place to call this what it, my job is to beat people up.
- I only lost once in the last 7 years, that was to Anthony, but it will be nice to get my hands on him again. However, this is just another title defense.
- I’ve had a lot time to develop since we fought last.
- One small moment defined the fight, and thats how life goes. Hopefully, you don’t falter in that moment. All the judges had it tied up going into round 5. Pettis landed a cool kick, and ever since I have been looking to redeem myself.
- I think everyone will link us together because of our last fight. Anyone you fight you are always linked to.
- Fans were very supportive after the last fight.
Anthony Pettis, No. 2 UFC lightweight contender
- When i got word TJ Grant was injured it surprised me. The way the fight lined up is amazing to me. I was sure there would theories popping up, but I know the injuries were legit. Injuries happen, they are part of the game.
- This isn’t any rivalry, he has the belt and that’s my goal.
- Pressure of the home town- This is just another fight. It doesn’t matter where it’s at. Its not a factor in this fight.
- I still have alot to prove and alot to work for.
- The reason I chose to fight Jose Aldo was to get a title shot, and when this happened-you can’t blame me for trying. Dana said no when I asked, and then this opportunity became about.
- We both knew we would be fighting again sometime.
- I was supposed to lose that fight, and there was alot at stake.
Frank Mir, No. 6 UFC heavyweight contender
- We are all fighting to become champion, but because Josh was champion was when I came in, I see this as bragging rights for sure.
- On a fight in 2002, I think Josh would have won because my mindset took a time to develop. Unless I won early, he would likely win.
- I fought people before who never tapped, and I tapped them. But you can’t change your game on someone blocking something.
- I’m always looking to get back into the title. I won’t concede to say I’m just going to look to get big fights.
- I didn’t brag to anyone when I got a UFC contract. saying you were a fighter was the quickest way to end a date.
Josh Barnett, No. 10 UFC heavyweight contender
- My contract negotiations went like any other negotiations.
- On relationship with Dana, We have a tentative date to hang out and get massages.
- The winner gets to brag all you want, if thats what you want to do, but i’m pre zuffa.
- First time around, I won the championship. I don’t expect anything different this go around.
- “I didn’t brag to anyone when I got a UFC contract. saying you were a fighter was the quickest way to end a date.”
- Fighters today are better athletes, These guys aren’t as tough as they used to be.