“UFC Tonight” Show Notes On Belfort, Carano, Cruz

vitor belfort

Another episode of “UFC Tonight” aired Wednesday evening on FOX Sports 1 and provided updates on several key names in the sport.

Insider Ariel Helwani let us in on the latest news in terms of Vitor Belfort’s return and opponent, Gina Carano signing with the UFC and when we might see former champion Dominick Cruz back in action.

On Holly Holm and Carano:

“Talks with Holly Holm are in a good place and progressing. The talks with Gina Carano have stalled. She’s a free agent at this time.”

Carano stated earlier this year that she was interested in coming back to MMA. She had a meeting with UFC president Dana White shortly after that, but talks have been quiet since.

Belfort’s next fight:

“Vitor’s wife says Vitor has set his sights on the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida and wants to focus on the middleweight title, and the UFC has told them he will get a shot.”

Weidman and Machida will square off next weekend for the title. Belfort was originally set to face Weidman, but a failed drug test that ultimately led to the ban placed on TRT, switched the bout.

When Cruz will return to the Octagon:

“I talked to Dominick Cruz’s manager, and they’ve zeroed in on late August or September for his return and they’re looking at Takeya Mizugaki to fight next. Mizugaki’s people love that fight. He’s recovering from ear surgery and will be available late September.”

Cruz has been out of action for over two years due to knee surgeries and a groin injury. He was stripped of the bantamweight title earlier this year.