Where Is GSP In Terms Of Fighting Again? Still On The Fence | Fighters.com

Where Is GSP In Terms Of Fighting Again? Still On The Fence

UFC Fight Night
Recommend to your friends!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre hasn’t completely left the sport of MMA despite not competing actively himself anymore. For instance, he is currently in Berlin to corner teammate Francis Carmont this weekend at UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi.

While attempting to remain in the shadows, St-Pierre did grant an interview to those on-scene, including MMAjunkie.com.

GSP, who vacated the title last December after a decision victory over Johny Hendricks, discussed another reason why he did what he did. Previously, the Canadian has talked in-depth about the lack of drug testing administered in the sport as a main reason for his move to stop fighting for the time being.

“I’ve been doing this since I was 19. I’m 33 now,” St-Pierre said. “When I fought (Carlos) Condit, I was very hungry. I was very happy to be there. I wanted to do it a lot. (Nick) Diaz, a little bit less.

“The last training camp I had with (Hendricks), I didn’t have the same motivation. I need to get back to that feeling of hunger.”

St-Pierre was returning from knee surgery when he defeated Condit to unify the welterweight titles. His fight with Diaz was another successful title defense, as was his decision over Hendricks.

Despite being regarded as one of the top fighters in the world, GSP says he needs to “get the motivation back.

“It’s hard because it’s always the same routine,” he continued. “I need to fix some things in my life to make it more efficient. Once everything can be done, maybe I’ll come back. We’ll see how it goes.”

He’s constantly stated that a return would happen in the future, but now, GSP made it clear that is up in the air, stating, “I can’t say yes, I can’t say no, because I just don’t know right now.”

St-Pierre turned 33 earlier this month and holds the UFC record for most wins at 19 and most successful title defenses at nine for the welterweight division. He has also spent a record five-plus hours inside the Octagon.

Carmont takes on C.B. Dollaway this Saturday in the co-main event. FightLine will be providing complete coverage, including live play-by-play, of the entire card from Germany. It airs exclusively on UFC Fight Pass.


Recommend to your friends!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •