As the anticipation began to for the upcoming return to Vancouver, Canada for ufc 131, the event has taken a huge hit. Brock Lesnar, the former UFC heavyweight champion, has been forced to pull out of his upcoming bout with Junior dos Santos come this June.
Lesnar, who in the past has battled with diverticulitis, has been diagnosed with the illness once again and will have to face some serious life altering choices in the very immediate future.
Brock could face a subsequent surgery to help combat his battle with the intestinal disease and should he opt for the procedure, it could put a halt to his career altogether.
It wasn’t too long ago where Brock has had to face these same kind of questions before. Lesnar was originally slated to make a title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 in November of 2009, though Brock was then forced to pull out of the bout once he was stricken with the disease.
Diverticulitis is defined as a digestive disease particularly found in the large intestine. Diverticulitis develops from diverticulosis, which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) on the outside of the colon. Diverticulitis results if one of these diverticula becomes inflamed.
In Lesnar’s case, the disease had taken a toll on his body to the point where he was bed ridden for a long period of time, lost 40-pounds during his battle with the sickness, however eventually regained his strength through a changed diet and returned to the octagon a year later following his title defense against Frank Mir at UFC 100 in July of 2009.
His comeback bout was opposite of Carwin, whom Brock eventually submitted with a second-round arm triangle choke at UFC 116 on July 3 of last year. The win was short lived, as Lesnar made a quick turn around to take on budding contender Cain Velasquez in October of last year and eventually suffered a first-round TKO defeat to the young American Kickboxing Academy product, relinquishing his heavyweight crown.
Brock was then pitted on this current season of “The Ultimate Fighter” opposite of Brazilian striker Junior dos Santos. The two were expected to meet at UFC 131 this June before UFC President Dana White revealed earlier today that the former world champion is suffering his second battle with the debilitating sickness and has since then been subsequently removed from the main-event opposite of Dos Santos.
“He’s got some serious choices to make in the next couple of weeks whether to fight this thing or to take surgery,” said White, courtesy of MMAJunkie.com.
The surgery will be the determining factor in Lesnar’s longevity in the sport, though by the looks of it, Brock is nowhere near ready to hang it up.
“I’ll tell you one thing: I’m not retiring…this isn’t the end of my fight career.
“I’ve just got to find the right solution to fix this problem”, said Lesnar.
So, MMA peeps, what do you think about the news? It’s his second occurrence with the disease, and though the conditions the second time around are more tamed than the first, the gravity of the situation is still as serious. Sound off in the comment section below.