UFC is parting ways with long time heavyweight Cheick Kongo. Kongo lost to to Roy Nelson in the first round by knockout on Saturday at UFC 159 and it was the last fight on his contract. Rumors were being circulated that he was cut from the promotion, but the official word is that the UFC just won’t be renewing his contract. Either way, the UFC is no longer in the Cheick Kongo business.
MMAFighting confirmed the story with UFC officials. Kongo also told their site last week that he would like to fight two or three more years, but if not he could happily retire as he well. Kongo said “”I got to give myself, probably, two, three more years to reach a title shot. If not, whatever, I have enough memories to retire and go on my way and do something else.”
PhotoÂ Â Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports