The story surrounding last Saturday night’s main event match-up between UFC welterweights Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit took another strange twist last night when UFC President Dana White went online to announce his organization had received verbal agreements from both men to face off a second time later this year. Previously it had been thought Diaz would take some time off before getting the itch to fight again and Condit would wait for bout with injured champion Georges St. Pierre.
The catalyst for the change may have occurred over the weekend when St. Pierre was quoted by Kenny Florian on UFC Tonight as saying he would give his belt up to fight Diaz, a rival who has gotten under the French-Canadian’s skin with a number of inflammatory comments and his attitude in general.
All told, the situation has been a rollercoaster kicked off by a closely contested decision at UFC 143 seeing Condit emerge with his hand raised despite his counter-pointing strategy in comparison to Diaz’s aggression and ring control. Shortly thereafter Diaz announced his retirement, White said he would be open to a rematch, and Condit’s camp changed their tune from saying he would be willing to defend the interim title he’d just won to wanting to wait for Diaz. Whether the ride has ended remains to be seen.
PHOTO CREDIT – UFC