“ufc 126: Silva vs. Belfort” featured an electrifying night of fights.
Champion Anderson Silva deftly defended his title with a rousing first-round knockout of former friend and teammate Vitor Belfort with a surprising front kick which floored the Brazilian. Following up with a few additional blows was all that “The Spider” needed to end the night of the former light heavyweight titleholder.
Forrest Griffin made a successful return to the cage, following a year-plus spent away from the cage, when he defeated former middleweight champ Rich Franklin, defeating the legend in a clean sweep decision victory.
The night produced several more exciting fights over, however some of those bouts came with their price.
UFC 126 took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas this past Saturday, and while some men listed below were victorious, they didn’t leave without their fare share of some bumps and bruises. Griffin especially has the potential to face some serious time away from the cage once again. The Xtreme Couture product returned to the octagon following a slew of personal problems and nursed injuries following a decision victory over Tito Ortiz, which took place in November of 2009. Griffin didn’t miss a beat in his return, but he may have re-aggravated a fracture in his foot that could have him out of action for large put of 2011.
Jake Ellenberger who was also victorious in a rousing welterweight affair against the previously undefeated Eduardo Rocha, could potentially be sitting alongside Forrest as he is required to have both of his hands x-rayed before he returns to action.
Below is a featured list of suspensions, courtesy of MMAJunkie.com by way of the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
The full list of suspensions included:
* Vitor Belfort: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 for precautionary reasons
* Forrest Griffin: Suspended until Aug. 5 unless right foot is X-rayed and cleared by an orthopedic doctor
* Carlos Eduardo Rocha: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 due to a scalp laceration
* Jake Ellenberger: Suspended until Aug. 5 unless both hands are X-rayed and cleared by an orthopedic
* Paul Kelly: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 due to a right-eyebrow laceration
* Michihiro Omigawa: Suspended until April 7 with no contact until April 7 due to a right-eyebrow right brow
laceration and head blows
* Chad Mendes: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 for precautionary reasons
* Gabe Ruediger: Suspended until April 7 with no contact until April 7 due to a right-eyebrow laceration and
* Ricardo Romero: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 for precautionary reasons
* Kenny Robertson: Suspended until March 23 with no contact until March 8 for precautionary reasons
So, MMA peeps, any surprises you see here? Sound off in the comment section below.