Dan Henderson Still Without UFC Contract

Dan Henderson Still Without UFC Contract

Grizzled fight veteran Dan Henderson was knocked out in brutal fashion by Vitor Belfort at UFC Fight Night 32 on November 9, 2013, and since then, the 43-year-old former PRIDE FC champ has been in contract negotiations limbo. On Monday, Henderson appeared on Ariel Helwani’s “The MMA Hour” to tell his tale of woe, which includes the pretty standard offer/counter-offer back-and-forth of any contract negotiation.

“I was fairly surprised that it’s as far away as what I thought I fair offer would have been,” he said. “I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say I was insulted, but I know what they’re trying to accomplish and trying to get everybody for as cheap as they can. That’s what they like to do. I don’t take it personally, but it was a lot lower than I expected.

“What I was asking for is a decent pay cut from what I was making,” he said. “Which I thought was fair.”

Things to keep in mind in any contract negotiation are what is the perceived value of the services offered and what is the actual value, and how do those numbers jibe with what the market can sustain. To put that in terms that the average MMA fan can understand:

  • Henderson’s on a three-fight losing streak.
  • His last win was against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 139 on November 19, 2011.
  • Belfort destroyed him in his last fight. Destroyed.
  • At 43, what more can we expect out of “Hendo”? Since he’s accomplished so much in his time in the sport, what more do we really want?

In his interview with Helwani, Henderson states that he has no desire to fight anywhere else, and that he thinks he has a couple more years of fighting left in him. Okay, that’s fine, but who else should Hendo fight?